The Covid-19 pandemic is impacting people in so many challenging ways. What follows is by no means an exhaustive list of ways you can help, but it’s a start, and it will be updated frequently as additional organizations and initiatives are brought to our attention.
Please email email@example.com if you would like to suggest any worthy entities.
(Anything below in orange and bolded is a link. Click on it to go directly to the source.)
Stay Home, Take Care – https://www.
Activities, recommendations, and ideas to help you stay in and take care of yourself and others – contents are updated daily.
- I want to take care of my mental health (https://www.stayhometakecare.
- I want to feel comforted (https://www.stayhometakecare.
- I want to be entertained (https://www.stayhometakecare.
- I want to connect with others (https://www.stayhometakecare.
- I want to entertain my kids (https://www.stayhometakecare.
- I want to help others (https://www.stayhometakecare.
- I want to take care of myself (https://www.stayhometakecare.
A Call to Care – https://www.callto.care/
Care Buddies are pairs of people who check in with one another. They’re cross-generational pen-pals who give one another a sense of safety, community and purpose in this time of isolation. Some prefer text, others call or video chat. They make each other laugh, share their worries, exchange family recipes or talk about their favorite shows.
SUNY Downstate hospital has been declared to be a COVID-19 hospital only by Governor Cuomo and, unfortunately, being a public hospital it simply does not have the funding or the conditions for providing cutting-edge care. Nurses are still writing charts by hand and devoted doctors (including my husband) in the ICU are committed to serve the vulnerable community tirelessly through this pandemic. I have been helping the Anesthesiology and ICU with fresh food during this time and we are continuing this effort to support our front line workers. You can help in many ways:
- sign up for food to feed 30 people (home-cooked or delivered) – https://www.signupgenius.com/
- donate towards food so we can continue this effort to support the frontline workers through May/June –https://www.gofundme.com/f/
- send a thank you note/card to show your appreciation – you can email the card to me at firstname.lastname@example.org
The two articles on the hospital will give you some perspective on the stark disparity in our healthcare system.
In many hospitals across New York City, patients are tragically dying alone, separated from their families due to restrictions on visitors. We are doing our part to bridge this physical gap between sick or dying patients and their loved ones by organizing the donation of iPads to hospitals in need.
The City has created HELP NOW NYC, an online resource center that has information on helping New Yorkers affected by CoVID-19. HELP NOW NYC provides both resources for individuals and organizations on a wide range of services including:
- Employment Resources
- Health and Medical Assistance
- Food Assistance
- Financial Assistance
- Rent Arrears and Public Assistance